The bonfire season is here and Christmas is not far around the corner. Many spring and summer puppies will encounter fireworks for the first time. Experiencing loud noise, bright lights and lots of people can be very stressful and frightening for your pet.
Introduce him or her to noises at home by playing relevant sound recordings and creating a normal and comforting environment, as well as providing treats and reassurance so that your hound realises that there is nothing to fear
- Be relaxed and keep high value treats handy.
- Reward calmly a calm behaviour.
- Be near; act as normal but offer reassurance if needed.
- Start to play sounds for a few minutes at a time at the usual feeding hour, or supply a Kong toy filled with your pup's favorite treats.
- You could also distract your pup from focusing on the noise by playing with him or her your favourite game,while the firework sounds are playing.
- If your pet is showing very distressed behavior stop playing the sounds & get in a professional to help.
Have a happy autumn!
PLANNING TO LEAVE THE CITY OVER THE FESTIVE SEASON? THE HAIRY HOUNDS IN HACKNEY TEAM CAN LOOK AFTER YOUR 'HAIRY HOUND' WHILE YOU ARE AWAY. TAKE A LOOK AT OUR SERVICESAND GET IN TOUCH IF WE'RE THE RIGHT FIT FOR YOUR DOG.